Source: The Burger Dude
Vegan Oklahoma Onion Burger
- 6 ounces of plant based meat, formed into 2 equal sized patties
- At least 1 cup thinly sliced onions (use a mandolin if you can)
- 2 slices vegan cheese
- Grillo's Dill Pickle Chips
- Good smear of mustard
- 1 hamburger bun
- Using a mandolin (or very sharp knife) thinly slice the onions. I set my mandolin to the lowest setting. It's easier if you set it up over a bowl so the onions just drop into the bowl for safe keeping.
- Spread a decent amount of oil on a cast iron skillet with a paper towel. Bring it up to medium high heat.
- Roll up your plant based meat into 2 equal sized meatballs. When the oil in the skillet starts to smoke, add the balls to the skillet and smash with a stiff metal spatula.
- Immediately add (at least) 1/2 a cup of the onions to each patty, and smash them into the patties.
- Grill each patty for about 4 minutes. Then flip.
- Once you flip the patties, add a slice of cheese to each. Traditionally, you would then add the top bun and then the bottom bun on top to steam and absorb the oniony goodness. I didn't do this as I wanted to get pickles and mustard on my top bun, so the choice is yours.
- If you don't add your buns to the patties, you can add some water to the skillet and cover. The steam will help melt the cheese.
- Once cheese is melted, stack both patties on top of each other, top with pickles, smear the top bun with a healthy dose of mustard.