Source: Brianna Gallo (@plvntfood)
Vegan Fried Chicken
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 cups all purpose flour (can sub gluten free)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp Grillo's pickle brine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1-2 lbs vegan chicken (we used gardein chicken scallopini)
- Canola oil for frying
- Mix together salt, onion powder, black pepper, garlic powder, ground sage, poultry seasoning, paprika, nutritional yeast, and all purpose flour together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your mustard, Grillo's pickle brine, water and 1/3 cup of the seasoned flour mixture & whisk to combine. This mixture should be roughly the consistency of pancake batter, a little thinner.
- Add your baking powder to your seasoned flour mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper to rest your chicken on when you're done dredging.
- Dip your chunks of frozen gardein chicken scallopini into your mustard mixture, make sure its fully coated, and then dip into the flour mixture to fully coat in that as well. You can dip twice in each mixture if you'd like, but I only did once. Place on your parchment lined baking sheet until you're ready to deep fry.
- Heat up your oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350F. Place 2-3 pieces of chicken in at a time, and cook for 4-6 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and allow to drain while you fry the rest of your chicken.