Kalua pork “Cubano” sliders
Ingredients Kalua pork “Cubano” sliders:
- 1 pork shoulder or Boston butt (2 to 4 lbs)
- 1 (12oz) package King's Hawaiian® Original Sweet Rolls
- ½ lb deli ham, sliced 1/8" thick
- 6 slices swiss cheese, thickly sliced
- 15 to 20 Grillo’s classic dill pickle chips
- 3 tbsp sea salt (or kosher salt)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke®
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserve 2 tbsp for mustard)
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice (reserved from 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp spicy mustard
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Using a small knife, cut ¼ inch deep slits 1 inch apart all over pork roast.
- Rub 2 tablespoons of sea salt all over pork. Place pork in roasting pan or large dutch oven and pour 4 cups of water, ¾ cup pineapple juice, 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke and the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt into the pan and cover tightly with foil or a heavy lid.
- Roast pork in oven until very tender when pierced with fork and the internal temperature has reached 200°F, about 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of the fresh dill. Set aside to allow the butter to soften. Once softened, stir to combine.
- After 4 hours, remove the pork from the oven and gently pull it apart with forks, removing any remaining pieces of fat, and place in a large bowl. Cover with some of the cooking liquid to prevent it from drying out and set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, combine the mustard, pineapple juice and soy sauce.
- Without separating rolls, cut the whole package in half horizontally and arrange bottom half in a buttered 13x9 inch baking pan. Spread the pineapple mustard evenly to the cut side of both pieces of bread, then layer the bottom piece with sliced ham, pulled pork, swiss cheese and pickle chips. Add the top of the slider rolls and then brush on a thin layer of the butter mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown and heated through. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of fresh dill, slice and serve.